- 1 package (16 ounces) wide egg noodles
- 2 pounds fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- Cook noodles according to package directions; drain. In a large skillet, saute mushrooms in 1/4 cup butter for 10-15 minutes or until tender.
- Place a third of the noodles in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish; sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Layer with 1-1/3 cups cheese and a third of the mushrooms. Repeat layers twice. Dot with remaining butter.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly and cheese is melted. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Reviews forMushroom Casserole
"Loved this recipe. I did do some adjusting mainly because I didn't want to bake it. ....and my husband doesn't think it's an entre unless it has meat so I added 1# pork sausage. I cooked the noodles, drained and set aside. Put the mushrooms and sausage in a pan...covered and cooked till all was done. Only used 4T butter. Added noodles to the meat/mushrooms and stirred in cheese. Warm through on stovetop and serve. HINT: since I used the sausage I only used 1 tsp. salt and didn't boil noodles in salt water."
"Delicious! I used gruyere instead of the swiss. Decadent!!"
"My family and I really enjoyed this dish. I added an envelope of garlic and herb sauce mix prepared according to pkg. instr. to the leftovers -- wonderful! (as is the original recipe."
"LOVED LOVED LOVED this dish! My daughter took the leftovers (it makes a bunch) for lunch today. This will become a regular at our table. Yummy!"
"This was sooooooo good and I like it because it doesn't take much. The only thing I did different was crush up some ritz crackers, add a little melted butter to them and sprinkled them on top before baking. YUM!! Thanks for a great recipe!!"