Mushroom Burger Stew
This stew is so easy to make, yet it always gets rave reviews from my family and friends. It's very hearty, and the bold mushroom flavor is unbeatable. - Sue Ellen Dillard, El Dorado, Arkansas
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 cups water
- 4 medium potatoes, cubed
- 5 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, quartered
- In a large saucepan, cook beef and onion over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the water, potatoes, carrots, tomatoes, soup mix, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add mushrooms; simmer 5 minutes longer.
Look for fresh mushrooms that are firm with tightly closed caps. Avoid those that are broken, discolored or have soft spots. Store unwashed mushrooms in a brown paper bag in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Before using in a recipe, rinse mushrooms lightly in a colander (do not soak). Then pat gently with paper towels to dry. Trim 1/4 inch off the stem.
Originally published as Mushroom Burger Stew in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook-Book
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.