Mushroom Bread Dressing
This is a mushroom lover’s delight! It’s become a tradition in our house to enjoy this rich, flavorful stuffing as part of our Christmas dinner.—Lynn Owen, Rochester, Washington
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 4 to 5 small onions, chopped
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1-1/2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 6 cups cubed day-old whole wheat bread
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- In a large skillet, saute onions and mushrooms in butter until tender. Sprinkle with sage and thyme. Transfer to a large bowl; stir in bread cubes.
- In a small bowl, combine soup mix and water. Gradually stir into bread mixture. Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until bubbly.
To Make Ahead: Saute onions and mushrooms ahead of time. Transfer to a small bowl; sprinkle with herbs and refrigerate. When ready to bake, reheat mixture in the microwave to room temperature and proceed with recipe.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 255 calories, 15g fat (9g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 620mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 5g fiber), 8g protein.
Originally published as Mushroom Stuffing in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2010
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.