This is a mushroom lover’s delight! It’s become a tradition in our house to enjoy this rich, flavorful stuffing as part of our Christmas dinner.—Lynn Owen, Rochester, Washington
Recommended: 25 Stuffing Recipes for Thanksgiving
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 to 5 small onions, chopped
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1-1/2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 6 cups cubed day-old whole wheat bread
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- In a large skillet, saute onions and mushrooms in butter until tender. Sprinkle with sage and thyme. Transfer to a large bowl; stir in bread cubes.
- In a small bowl, combine soup mix and water. Gradually stir into bread mixture. Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 7 servings.
Originally published as Mushroom Bread Dressing in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2010, p105