Mushroom Bolognese with Whole Wheat Pasta
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 1 large zucchini, finely chopped
- 1/2 pound baby portobello mushrooms, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 4-1/2 cups uncooked whole wheat rigatoni
- In a 6-qt. stockpot coated with cooking spray, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and carrots; cook and stir until tender. Add zucchini, mushrooms and garlic; cook and stir until tender. Stir in wine; bring to a boil; cook until liquid is almost evaporated.
- Stir in crushed and diced tomatoes, cheese and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 25-30 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Cook rigatoni according to package directions; drain. Serve with sauce.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups sauce with 1 cup pasta: 369 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 483mg sodium, 65g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 12g fiber), 17g protein.
Sep 4, 2019
This is fantastic! I didn’t finely chop the veggies, I left them a little bulkier, and it was awesome. So much flavour.
Apr 4, 2018
Loved the sauce. it was thick and tasty, just the way we like it. I made it with vegetable pasta instead of whole wheat. My family has already asked me to make it again.
Aug 19, 2017
This is really good. It is hard to please my daughter but she really liked it.
Jan 5, 2016
Great for Meatless Mondays. I also added just a pinch of salt to bring out more of the flavors.
Dec 30, 2015
Really tasty with a nice thick sauce. Would go well with any kind of whole wheat pasta.Will make again.
Aug 23, 2015
This was an okay recipe. I'll make it again, but I will add salt, at least a 1/4 of teaspoon and maybe increase the amount of red pepper flakes to 1/4 teaspoon. It just needs a little more of something to add to the flavor.
Aug 16, 2015
This is a hearty, filling meatless dish. We loved all of the flavor from the vegetables, garlic, and seasonings. The leftovers were also great the next day!