- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 5 tablespoons butter or margarine, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- Combine beef, crumbs, milk, Worcestershire sauce, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, pepper and garlic powder; mix well. Shape into three or four oval patties; cook on both sides until no longer pink.
- In another skillet, cook the mushrooms and basil in 2 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat until tender; remove mushrooms and set aside. Heat the remaining butter; stir in flour. Increase heat to high; cook and stir until most of the liquid evaporates. Melt the remaining butter; stir in flour. Gradually blend in cream. Add 1/2 cup water, hot pepper sauce and remaining salt; cook and stir on low until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Add enough remaining water to make a medium-thin sauce. Add mushrooms; heat though. Serve over beef patties; top with cheese and onions. Yield: 3-4 servings.
Reviews forMushroom Beef Patties
"I've been making this recipe for years. The whole family loves it!"
"I'd prepared these patties when they first were featured in Taste of Home! When I prepared them, I used: 6 Tbsp. butter or margarine, DIVIDED, 1 Tbsp. cornstarch, 1/4 tsp. hot red pepper flakes as I'd had it on hand. If you don't have the pepper flakes, you can use 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper. I crushed the dried basil to release the flavor! I HAD used oil to cook the meat patties-I'd say about 1 to 2 Tbsp.!These Mushroom beef Patties were delicious! NOTE: I didn't use hot red pepper sauce! I used about 3 Tbsp. of the butter to saute the mushrooms and the balance of the butter to prepare the sauce! Thank you, Dale Thelen, for sharing your recipe! DELowenstein"
"I decided to make these for something different. My husband LOVED these. He said it is his most favorite recipe I have made yet. He wants me quadruple the batches in the future so he has plenty left over! I think one weekend I am going to make a bunch of gravy and freeze it so all I have to do is thaw it out to put on top of my burgers. Then it becomes a quick and easy recipe:) Thank you for the idea. These are fantastic!"
"These were great. I didn't have cream on hand, so used one cup of skim milk in place of the cream and left the gravy thick. Definitely a keeper."
"My boyfriend loved this recipe. We added extra hot sauce because we like spicy foods. It was kind of a cross between meatloaf and chicken fried steak. The next time I will serve this with mashed potatoes and double the gravy recipe. The leftovers heated up great for my lunch the next day."
"i made these and my husband really liked them.i did not,i thought they were a little to hot or spicy for my taste."