Mushroom Bean Barley Soup
Here's a hearty soup that is delicious and chock-full of vegetables. I like to eat it with a chunk of crusty bread smothered in butter.—Constance Sullivan, Oceanside, California
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + soaking Cook: 5 hours
Makes12 servings (3 quarts)
- 1/2 cup dried great northern beans
- 1 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 medium leek (white portion only), sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cartons (32 ounces each) chicken broth
- 3 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 3 large carrots, chopped
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- Soak beans according to package directions. In a large skillet, cook the mushrooms, onions and leek in butter over medium heat until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Transfer to a 6-quart slow cooker. Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid. Add beans and remaining ingredients to slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until beans and vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaf. Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 116 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 988mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 5g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Mushroom Barley Soup in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2010
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.