Mushroom Barley Soup Mix
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 45 min.
Makesabout 6-1/2 cups per batch
- 1-1/2 cups dried lentils
- 3 cups medium pearl barley
- 1 package (1 ounce) dried shiitake or porcini mushrooms (about 2 cups)
- 6 bay leaves
- 18 beef bouillon cubes
- 6 tablespoons dried celery flakes
- 6 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 6 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 3 teaspoons coarsely ground pepper
- 3 teaspoons garlic salt
- 3 teaspoons dried thyme
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS (for each batch):
- 2 quarts water
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- In six pint-size jars or cellophane gift bags, layer 1/4 cup lentils, 1/2 cup barley and 1/3 cup mushrooms. Top with a bay leaf, or attach to jar or bag for decoration.
- In six snack-size resealable plastic bags, place three bouillon cubes, 1 tablespoon celery flakes, 1 tablespoon parsley, 1 tablespoon onion, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt and 1/2 teaspoon thyme; seal bags. Place one in each jar or bag and seal. Yield: 6 batches.
- To prepare one batch of soup: Place mix and seasonings in a large saucepan; add water and carrots. Bring to a boil; stir well. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45-60 minutes or until barley and lentils are tender. Remove bay leaf before serving.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 126 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 721mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 7g fiber), 5g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 4, 2016
I made a dozen of these for gifts. It's a good thing I tried one, because 3 beef bouillon cubes per jar is NOT enough. It tasted bland, and would have been a disaster to give these away! I went back and added 6 more cubes, for a total of 9 per jar. They are very good, then. I also found that adding more carrots and frozen peas made the soup even better.