Mushroom and Onion Beef Skillet
In Wills Point, Texas, Dorothy Pritchett simmers mushrooms, onions and hearty chunks of leftover beef in a seasoned tomato sauce. "This is a tasty and satisfying main dish when served over rice," she assures.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 1 cup sliced green onions
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato puree
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 bay leaves
- Salt to taste
- 3 cups cubed cooked beef
- Hot cooked rice or noodles
- In a large skillet, saute the mushrooms, onions and garlic in butter until tender. Add the tomato puree, broth, tomato paste and seasonings. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add beef; heat through. Discard the bay leaves. Serve over rice or noodles.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 201 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 64mg cholesterol, 327mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 30g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 2 vegetable.
Originally published as Mushroom Beef Skillet in Quick Cooking November/December 2002
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.