Mushroom Almond Chicken
I created this recipe over years of preparing meals for hunting camps out in the backcountry. Out there, I'd cook it in a Dutch oven over a fire. It satisfies even the biggest eaters, and it's easy to double or triple the recipe.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + standing Bake: 70 min.
- 4 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 3-1/2 pounds), skinned and cut up
- 3 large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups Italian-style bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese, optional
- In a skillet, saute mushrooms and garlic in butter; set aside. Combine lemon and cayenne peppers; sprinkle over the chicken and let stand for 10 minutes. In a shallow bowl, combine eggs, buttermilk and salt. In another bowl, mix the bread crumbs, almonds, basil and oregano. Dip chicken in buttermilk mixture, then in crumb mixture, coating well. Place in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan; sprinkle with mushroom mixture. Cover and bake at 350° for 50 minutes. Uncover and bake 20 minutes longer. If desired, sprinkle with cheese and let stand for 5 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 725 calories, 38g fat (10g saturated fat), 299mg cholesterol, 1057mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 4g fiber), 57g protein.
Originally published as Mushroom Almond Chicken in Country Extra September 1994
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.