Eggs Benedict are a great dish to experiment with, and this is my favorite version. The earthy flavors of mushroom and spinach blend beautifully in this new twist on an old classic. —Elizabeth Dumont, Madison, Mississippi
Recommended: 50 Hearty Breakfast Casseroles
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 12 slices pancetta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups sliced assorted fresh mushrooms
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 16 cups fresh spinach
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 12 eggs
- HOLLANDAISE SAUCE:
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 6 English muffins, split and toasted
- Minced chives
- In a large skillet, cook pancetta over medium heat until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels.
- In same skillet, melt butter. Add mushrooms and shallots. Cook and stir over medium heat until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in balsamic vinegar. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is almost evaporated. Add spinach, pepper and salt; cook until spinach is wilted.
- Place 2-3 in. of water in a large skillet with high sides; add vinegar. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer gently. Working in batches, break cold eggs, one at a time, into a custard cup or saucer; holding the cup close to the surface of the water, slip each egg into water.
- Cook, uncovered, until whites are completely set and yolks are still soft, about 4 minutes.
- In a double boiler or metal bowl over simmering water, constantly whisk egg yolks, water and lemon juice until mixture reaches 160° or is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Reduce heat to low. Very slowly drizzle in warm melted butter, whisking constantly. Whisk in salt and pepper.
- With a slotted spoon, lift eggs out of water. On each muffin half, layer pancetta, mushroom mixture and an egg; spoon sauce over top. Sprinkle with chives. Serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Mushroom & Spinach Eggs Benedict in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2017, p171