- 3 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 8 ounces sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 1 small onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 8 thin slices cheddar cheese (about 3 ounces)
- 8 slices Texas toast
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, heat 1 tablespoon butter over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and onion; cook and stir 4-5 minutes or until tender. Remove from pan. Wipe skillet clean.
- Place one slice cheese on each of four bread slices. Top with mushroom mixture, bacon and the remaining cheese and bread. Lightly spread outsides of sandwiches with remaining butter.
- In same skillet, toast sandwiches in batches over medium heat 45-60 seconds on each side or until golden brown and cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forMushroom & Onion Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
"These sandwiches have a great flavor. I used the cast iron skillet I fried my bacon in (after removing most of the grease) to grill my sandwiches. This made the bacon taste stand out even more. I think any type of mushroom will work for this recipe. I had canned mushrooms on hand to use for my sandwiches."
"Delicious! The mushrooms and bacon make this very flavorful"