- 12 fresh asparagus spears
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2-2/3 cups sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 2-1/2 cups sliced fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup sherry
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 4 eggs
- 4 slices French bread (3/4 inch thick), toasted
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- Saute asparagus in 1 teaspoon oil in a large skillet until crisp-tender; remove and keep warm.
- Saute shallot in remaining oil and 1 tablespoon butter in the same skillet until tender. Add mushrooms and garlic; cook 4 minutes longer. Add sherry, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Stir in cream and salt. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stir in basil.
- Meanwhile, place 2-3 inches of water in a large skillet with high sides; add white vinegar. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer gently. Break cold eggs, one at a time, into a custard cup or saucer; holding the cup close to the surface of the water, slip each egg into water.
- Cook, uncovered, until whites are completely set and yolks are still soft, about 4 minutes. With a slotted spoon, lift eggs out of the water.
- Spread remaining butter over toast slices. Top each with asparagus, a poached egg and mushroom mixture. Sprinkle with pepper and drizzle with balsamic vinegar. Serve immediately. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forMushroom & Asparagus Eggs Benedict
"This is a wonderful recipe, and much easier than it appears when you first read it. It is definite favorite at our house when we are looking for a meatless meal or a very special brunch."