Multigrain Stuffed Pepper Cups Recipe
- 4 large sweet red or green peppers
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jar (26 ounces) meatless spaghetti sauce, divided
- 1/2 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1/2 cup dried currants
- 1/2 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 1/4 cup cooked medium pearl barley
- 1/4 cup cooked bulgur
- 1/4 cup cooked lentils
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1. Cut peppers in half lengthwise; remove stems and seeds. In a large kettle, cook peppers in boiling water for 3-5 minutes. Rinse in cold water and drain; set aside.
- 2. In a large saucepan, cook the turkey, onions and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in 2 cups spaghetti sauce, corn, currants, wine or broth, barley, bulgur, lentils, brown sugar and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until heated through. Spoon a heaping 1/2 cupful into each pepper cup.
- 3. Place in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top each pepper with remaining spaghetti sauce; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- 4. Cover and bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until peppers are tender and filling is heated through. Yield: 8 servings.
1 each: 282 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 51mg cholesterol, 649mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 6g fiber), 16g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Reviews for Multigrain Stuffed Pepper Cups
"This is a nice healthy twist on a good staple recipe. It is time-consuming to make and I had to look up how to cook pearl barley and bulgur since I bought them at Whole Foods in their bulk section. My family does not care for the texture of lentils, so I am trying it again with using wild rice instead of lentils. The currants are a nice complement to the sweetness of the red peppers."