Packed with rice, lentils and barley, this filling side dish has a rich, nutty taste and texture. Lillian Zurock serves it often on her grain farm in Spirit River, Alberta.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1/2 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granules
- 4-1/2 cups boiling water
- 1 tablespoon salt-free seasoning blend
- 2 tablespoons sherry or additional water
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute onion in oil for 2 minutes. Add the barley, brown rice, wild rice, lentils and almonds; saute 5-6 minutes longer or until almonds are lightly browned. Transfer to a 3-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Dissolve bouillon in boiling water; stir in the seasoning blend and sherry or additional water. Carefully pour over grain mixture; stir to combine.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 60-70 minutes or until grains are tender.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 155 calories, 4g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 213mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 5g fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Multi-Grain Pilaf in Light & Tasty August/September 2007
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.