My husband and I love the goodness of food prepared with whole grains. But our children are different—their idea of good bread is store-bought soft white sandwich bread. So I developed this to appeal to their love of sweet toppings while giving them a taste of whole-grain cooking.—Ann Harris, Lancaster, California
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Maple syrup
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In a small bowl, whisk the egg, buttermilk and butter. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Pour batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto a greased hot griddle; turn when bubbles form on top. Cook until the second side is golden brown. Serve with syrup.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 231 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 70mg cholesterol, 575mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.
Originally published as Multigrain Pancakes in Taste of Home October/November 1996