Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 3 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 egg plus 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup salted sunflower kernels
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
- 5-1/2 to 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons water
- Additional oats
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the whole wheat flour, oats, 1 egg, sesame and sunflower seeds, oil, butter, sugar, salt, caraway, vinegar and 2 cups all-purpose flour. Beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Shape into 18 round balls; roll each into a 4-1/2 in. circle. Place on grease baking sheets. Beat egg yolk with water; brush over buns. Sprinkle with oats. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans.
1 each: 267 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 233mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 3g fiber), 8g protein.