Multi-Grain English Muffin Bread Recipe
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/3 cup wheat germ
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1. In a mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add whole whet flour, oats, wheat germ, sugar, salt and 1-1/4 cups of all-purpose flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down (no not knead). Shape into a loaf. Coat a 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan with cooking spray and sprinkle with half of the cornmeal. Place loaf in pan; sprinkle with remaining cornmeal. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake at 400° for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan and cool on a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
1 slice: 93 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 110mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch.
Reviews for Multi-Grain English Muffin Bread
"The taste and grains are good but as the other reviewer said it did not rise very well for me either. I did the initial mixing in my bread machine and then took it out to raise in the 9x5 pan. It barely came to the top of the pan and then did not puff up when baking. I probably won't make this again but the really the taste is good. I did not throw out I am eating but am toasting it first."
"This didn't rise for me at all so it was basically a brick....BUT I'm not good at breads...obviously :) The taste, however, was really good so I'm going to try it again."