Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 45 min.
Makes8 servings (about 2 quarts)
- 1 medium tart apple, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup each chopped carrot, celery and onion
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground mace
- 6 cups chicken or turkey broth
- 1 cup cubed cooked chicken or turkey
- 1 medium tomato, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 cup cooked rice
- In a Dutch oven, saute the apple, carrot, celery and onion in butter for 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in the flour, curry, sugar, salt, pepper and mace until blended. Gradually add broth.
- Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add the chicken, tomato, green pepper, cloves and parsley; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes. Add rice; heat through. Discard cloves.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 160 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 925mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 8g protein.
Oct 27, 2015
Scrumptious was my hubby's first word upon tasting this soup! I would've never put this combo of vegetables and seasonings together, but so glad I tried this recipe! This is dynamite. The only change I made was leaving the mace out as I didn't have any. So full of flavor, I'll make it again and again.
May 31, 2015
Jan 24, 2014
Another keeper. Wonderful flavour. I increased the vegetables, used 2 small Golden Delicious apples, (chopped, they meas. around 1 cup.) Will be making this again.
Sep 14, 2012
This soup is amazing, and reheats beautifully for lunch the next day. I doubled all the vegetables and used drained, canned diced tomatoes and it was absolutely delicious.
Sep 15, 2009
Loved the taste; but it is a lot of chopping.