Mulled Wine Recipe
- 1 bottle (750 milliliters) fruity red wine
- 1 cup brandy
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 medium orange, sliced
- 1 medium lemon, sliced
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cinnamon sticks (3 inches)
- 1/2 teaspoon whole allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon aniseed
- 1/2 teaspoon whole peppercorns
- 3 whole cloves
- Optional garnishes: orange slices, star anise and additional cinnamon sticks
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine first six ingredients. Place remaining spices on a double thickness of cheesecloth. Gather corners of cloth to enclose spices; tie securely with string. Add to wine mixture.
- 2. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat; simmer gently, covered, 20 minutes. Transfer to a covered container cool slightly. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- 3. Strain liquid into a large saucepan, discarding fruit and spice bag; reheat. Serve warm. Garnish as desired. Yield: 5 servings.
Editor's Note: This recipe was tested with Rioja wine. Merlot would also work well.
3/4 cup: 379 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 10mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (41g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein.
Reviews for Mulled Wine
"Made this for New Year's Eve last year and it was a huge hit. Making it again for Christmas Eve tomorrow. Be careful though, it's strong stuff!"
"Love this recipe. It was a huge hit at my house. My husband asks me to make it all the time."