This mulled wine is soothing and satisfying with a delightful blend of spices warmed to perfection. Refrigerating the wine mixture overnight allows the flavors to blend, so don't omit this essential step.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 bottle (750 milliliters) fruity red wine
- 1 cup brandy
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 medium orange, sliced
- 1 medium lemon, sliced
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cinnamon sticks (3 inches)
- 1/2 teaspoon whole allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon aniseed
- 1/2 teaspoon whole peppercorns
- 3 whole cloves
- Optional garnishes: orange slices, star anise and additional cinnamon sticks
- In a large saucepan, combine first six ingredients. Place remaining spices on a double thickness of cheesecloth. Gather corners of cloth to enclose spices; tie securely with string. Add to wine mixture.
- Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat; simmer gently, covered, 20 minutes. Transfer to a covered container cool slightly. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- Strain liquid into a large saucepan, discarding fruit and spice bag; reheat. Serve warm. Garnish as desired. Yield: 5 servings.
Originally published as Mulled Wine in The Taste of Home Cookbook 2007
Reviews forMulled Wine
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 23, 2011
"Made this for New Year's Eve last year and it was a huge hit. Making it again for Christmas Eve tomorrow. Be careful though, it's strong stuff!"
Reviewed Nov. 9, 2011
"Love this recipe. It was a huge hit at my house. My husband asks me to make it all the time."