Mulled Wine Jelly Candies
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 4 orange peel strips (3x1 inches each)
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- 3 whole cloves
- 1/2 cup powdered fruit pectin
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/3 cups sugar
- 1-1/3 cups light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1. In a small saucepan, combine wine, orange peel, juice, cinnamon stick and cloves; bring just to a simmer (do not boil) over medium-low heat. Reduce heat; simmer gently, uncovered, 10 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Let stand 1 hour.
- 2. Line a 9x5-in. loaf pan with foil; coat foil with cooking spray. Strain wine mixture, discarding orange peel and spices. Return mulled wine to saucepan; stir in pectin and baking soda. Heat over medium-high heat.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine sugar and corn syrup; bring to a full rolling boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Stir in wine mixture. Continue to boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; skim off foam, if necessary. Immediately pour into prepared pan. Let stand until set, about 5 hours or overnight.
- 4. For coating, sprinkle 2 tablespoons sugar over a 14x12-in. sheet of parchment paper. Invert candy onto sugar. With a knife dipped in warm water, cut candy into 1-in. squares; coat with remaining sugar.
- 5. Transfer candies to a wire rack. Let stand, uncovered, at room temperature overnight. Store in airtight containers up to 1 week.
1 piece: 77 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 35mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein.
Dec 25, 2017
Made these to use up some wine I didn't much like. Took them to a friend's house Christmas eve. Everyone e loved them! Great recipe.