- 4 cinnamon sticks (3 inches)
- 4 whole cloves
- 2 bottles (750 milliliters each) Merlot wine
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup brandy
- 1 medium orange, thinly sliced
- Place cinnamon sticks and cloves on a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and tie with string to form a bag.
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the wine, sugar, orange juice, brandy and orange slices. Add spice bag. Cover and cook on high for 1 hour or until heated through. Discard spice bag and orange slices. Serve warm in mugs. Yield: 9 servings.
Reviews forMulled Merlot
"We were given a bottle of Merlot, normally we do not drink Merlot. However when we saw this recipe, we thought we wold give it a try. It was really good, The thing we did was increase the sugar, orange juice and brandy. that did the trick, It was wonderful. plus it made our house smell wonderful."
"Was looking for a warm drink for ringing in the new year at below freezing temperatures. This treat was a hit at our party and kept everyone toasty! The first sip is a powerful one, though, even using the fruitier ruby port!"