Mrs. Ina’s Corn Relish
Mrs. Ina was an older lady who came to our church for many years. She made an amazing corn relish. I whip up my own batch to give to friends at Christmastime. —Brenda Wooten, Dayton, Tennessee
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 can (11 ounces) whole kernel corn
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup chopped celery
- 3 tablespoons chopped green pepper
- 3 tablespoons diced pimientos, drained
- 1 small garlic clove, minced, optional
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon mustard seed
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup white vinegar, divided
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Drain corn, reserving 1 tablespoon liquid. In a smalll saucepan, combine onion, celery, green pepper, pimientos and, if desired, garlic. Stir in sugar, salt, celery seed, mustard seed, pepper flakes, ginger and 3/4 cup vinegar. Bring to a boil. Boil 5-7 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix flour, mustard and tumeric. Stir in reserved corn liquid until smooth. Add to vegetable mixture; stir in remaining vinegar. Cook, uncovered, 2-3 minutes or until slightly thickened. Add corn; boil 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
Originally published as MRS. INA'S CORN RELISH in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2016
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.