- 3 cups shredded carrots
- 1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple, well drained
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, beat the first five ingredients until well blended. In another bowl, mix the flour, baking soda and cinnamon; gradually beat into carrot mixture.
- Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter and vanilla until blended. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth. Spread over cake. Store in refrigerator. Yield: 15 servings.
Reviews forMrs. Thompson's Carrot Cake
"very good taste! we loved the flavor combined with pineapple. I used 3 cups of confectioners sugar, this became not too sweet."
"This is a terrific cake! I have a male friend who has offered to buy the ingredients several times so I would make it for him."
"Made this cake a few days ago, Wonderful cake moist, flavorful, I used 3 cups of the store bought already shredded carrots and I drained the crushed pineapple as receipe said , I used a disposible aluminum 13x9 pan for the cake, After cake was baked and frosted when we went to serve the carrots in the cake had turned green. I dont know if the acid in the pineapple along with the carrots in an aluminum pan caused oxidation, or if there were perservatives added to the package shredded carrots that caused oxidation I do not know, we are still eating the cake and I will keep this recipe and try again with hand grated carrots instead of pre packaged already shredded carrots to see if there is a difference. Keeping this recipe for sure."
"I found this recipe in our church cookbook. It is the best Carrot cake EVER! Everyone who has tried mine says the same. I have made this cake for two weddings in the last two years and my son-in-law requests it as a Christmas present every year....and I make it as cupcakes for him. My frosting is a little different, but so very good. If you make this recipe you will never try any other...it is THAT good! (By the way, my mother is "Mrs. Thompson", but not the Carrot cake one. The recipe name just got my attention quickly.)"
"This cake was incredible. Very moist and the pineapple and carrot was a good combination. The frosting was too sweet for my taste. I'll be cutting the powder sugar down considerably next time."
"I added a sqeeze of lemon to the icing to make it zing. Otherwise amazing. Would feed an army. Great for potluck."
"This is absolutely the best carrot cake I have ever had! So moist and delicious! Fantastic!"