Mr. Taco Bean Dip
—Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Greendale, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling
- 1 can (15 ounces) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1 round loaf (1 pound) unsliced bread or whole wheat bread
- Curly endive or leaf lettuce
- 1 small sweet red pepper
- 1 cherry or grape tomato
- 1 hard-boiled large egg, halved
- 2 pitted ripe olives
- Celery leaves
- Tortilla chips and assorted fresh vegetables
- In a food processor, process beans until smooth. In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, sour cream and taco seasoning until blended. Beat in beans. Cover and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes.
- Cut the top fourth off the loaf of bread; carefully hollow out bottom, leaving a 1-1/2-in. shell. Cube removed bread; set aside. Place bread bowl on an endive-lined plate.
- Cut red pepper into two rings for ears and a thick slice for mouth; attach to bread bowl, using toothpicks. Attach tomato for nose. For eyes, attach egg and olives and celery leaves for eyelashes.
- Fill bread bowl with bean dip. Serve with bread cubes, tortilla chips and vegetables.
Nutrition Facts2 tablespoons: 128 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 306mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Mr. Taco Bean Dip in Your Family March/April 2003