"I received the recipe for this rich bread-and-tomato dish from a relative," says Gloria Bisek of Deerwood, Minnesota. "We love it in fall when tomatoes from our garden are plentiful. It's a favorite at potlucks, too," she adds.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 4 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 8 cups soft bread cubes
- 3 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Place a single layer of tomatoes in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish; set aside. in a large bowl, combine bread cubes, 2 cups of cheese, bacon, butter, celery, onion, eggs, garlic salt and oregano; mix well. Spoon over the tomatoes. Top with remaining tomatoes; sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 370 calories, 25g fat (14g saturated fat), 120mg cholesterol, 654mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 14g protein.
Originally published as Mozzarella Tomatoes in Quick Cooking September/October 1998