Mozzarella Strawberry Salad with Chocolate Vinaigrette
A chocolate salad dressing? How else would you dress a salad on Valentine's Day? Don't let the unusual name and flavor combination confuse you—the salty prosciutto and mellow mozzarella are beautifully balanced with the sweet-tart chocolate balsamic vinegar dressing. —Jenni Sharp, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 6 thin slices prosciutto or deli ham, chopped
- 1 package (5 ounces) spring mix salad greens
- 1-1/2 cups watercress
- 1 carton (8 ounces) fresh mozzarella cheese pearls
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a small skillet, cook prosciutto over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon; drain and set aside.
- Divide salad greens and watercress among six salad plates. Arrange cheese, strawberries and prosciutto over greens.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate; stir until smooth. Whisk in the vinegar, oil, honey, salt and pepper. Drizzle over salads.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 301 calories, 22g fat (9g saturated fat), 42mg cholesterol, 438mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 12g protein.
Originally published as Mozzarella and Strawberry Salad with Chocolate Vinaigrette in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2012