Mozzarella Meat Whirl
I've loved to cook for as long as I can remember. This recipe, which dates back to 1960, is an example of the special touches that I like to add to my dishes.—John Dailey, Rocky Mount, North Carolina
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hours
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/4 pound ground pork
- 1/4 pound ground veal
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- In a large bowl, combine beef, pork and veal; mix well. Add bread crumbs, egg, mustard, salt and pepper; blend well. On waxed paper, pat meat mixture into a 14x8-in. rectangle. Cover with mozzarella cheese and sprinkle with parsley. Starting at the narrow end, roll up tightly, jelly-roll style. Press ends firmly to seal. Place seam sides down in a 9x5-in. loaf pan.
- For sauce, combine ketchup, water and Worcestershire sauce; pour over meat loaf. Bake at 350° for 1-1/4 hours or until a thermometer reads 160°, basting frequently.
Nutrition Facts4 ounce-weight: 353 calories, 17g fat (8g saturated fat), 127mg cholesterol, 1122mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 32g protein.
Originally published as Mozzarella Meat Whirl in Country Ground Beef
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.