Mozzarella Meat Loaf Wellington
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hours
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup spaghetti sauce, divided
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 tube (8 ounces) refrigerated crescent rolls
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, 1/3 cup spaghetti sauce, bread crumbs, salt and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well.
- On a piece of heavy-duty foil, pat beef mixture into a 12x8-in. rectangle. Sprinkle 1 cup cheese and parsley to within 1 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side and peeling foil away while rolling. Seal seam and ends. Place seam side down in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour; drain. Unroll crescent dough; seal seams and perforations. Drape dough over meat loaf to cover the top, sides and ends; seal ends. Bake for 14-18 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160° and crust is golden brown. Sprinkle with remaining cheese; bake 1 minute longer. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Using two large spatulas, carefully transfer meat loaf to a serving platter. Serve with remaining spaghetti sauce.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 385 calories, 22g fat (9g saturated fat), 99mg cholesterol, 718mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 27g protein.
May 18, 2016
If you use 2 beaten eggs this will hold together better. This recipe needs just a little punching up but not much. Spinach (7 oz can drained) and not parsley was a good suggestion and some garlic pwr made a difference. I used Vodka Sauce instead of Marinara Sauce.
May 1, 2015
I love this recipe. But I put spinach instead of parsley and sometimes sliced mushrooms in the middle. I also prefer pizza dough.
Sep 16, 2013
This was okay. I had trouble getting the roll to stay together. Seemed like a lot of work for just an average result. Will stick with my standard meatloaf recipe in the future.
Dec 31, 2010
I've made this many times and my husband and I really like it. It looks fancy, but is pretty simple to make.
May 2, 2010
This recipe is great! My family of 5 just loves it!! Big hit with the kids.
Oct 20, 2009
My husband loves this meatloaf! Have made some midifications to it over time. We had crubled bacon, onion, bell pepper and garlic to the meat mixture just to flavor it up, but the idea is incredible and the crescent roll crust just makes it awesome!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.