Mozzarella Baked Spaghetti
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min. + standing
- 8 ounces uncooked spaghetti, broken into thirds
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound Johnsonville® Ground Mild Italian sausage
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 jar (14 ounces) meatless spaghetti sauce
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 to 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cook spaghetti according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat egg, milk and salt. Drain spaghetti; add to egg mixture and toss to coat. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- In a large skillet, cook beef, sausage, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in spaghetti sauce and tomato sauce. Spoon over the spaghetti mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, 20 minutes. Sprinkle with the cheese. Bake 10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting. Freeze option: Cool spaghetti completely before tossing with egg mixture. Transfer to baking dish; cover and refrigerate. Meanwhile, prepare meat sauce and cool completely before spooning over spaghetti mixture. Cover and freeze unbaked casserole. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake as directed, increasing time as necessary to heat through and for a thermometer inserted in center to read 165°.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 286 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 65mg cholesterol, 718mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 17g protein.
May 31, 2018
I LOVE Baked Spaghetti and this one is very good..Recipes are yours to make the way you want and in my book, you can make them your own...
Oct 1, 2017
We love this recipe! We use hot ( spicy ) Italian sausage & Spicy Sausage Prego spaghetti sauce.. We use 2 cups of mozzarella for better results. My husband prefers this over lasagna which has always being his favorite!
Aug 28, 2017
@ Brian: Why don't you actually review the recipe instead of giving your own? If you think so highly of it, have the courage to submit your own recipe!!
Aug 4, 2017
Loved this yummy recipe. It's a keeper.
Jul 9, 2017
Just in case I added 3 cloves garlic, Italian spice (1 t.) and a little hot sauce. It's a winner and it will be my pot luck contribution for the next several pot lucks.
Jul 9, 2017
Made a few changes to suit family. Delicious!!
Jul 4, 2017
I grew up with baked spaghetti it can be a lot simpler make spaghetti al dente 1 jr of traditional ragu, shredded longhorn cheddar mix half cheese with spaghetti and sauce put in casserole dish spread rest cheese on top and bake 350 for 30 minI like adding Italian sausage links cooked separate
Jul 3, 2017
Can this be made without eggs?
May 28, 2017
I made this a couple nights ago for family members and everyone loved it. They all had seconds. Only thing I added was a little garlic powder. Will definitely make again.
May 10, 2017
Great recipe! I am on deployment and we take turns cooking for the group. I liked the recipe but had to make some changes due to local market availabilities. There is no pork products and limited beef so I ended up maked ground lamb sausage from another recipe online. I doubled the spices and added fresh garlic and onion. The meal was finished with some homemade garlic pita slices. Everyone enjoyed it so much that we are adding it to our regular meal rotation.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.