- 8 ounces uncooked spaghetti, broken into thirds
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 jar (14 ounces) meatless spaghetti sauce
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 to 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cook spaghetti according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat egg, milk and salt. Drain spaghetti; add to egg mixture and toss to coat. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- In a large skillet, cook beef, sausage, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in spaghetti sauce and tomato sauce. Spoon over the spaghetti mixture.
Bake, uncovered, 20 minutes. Sprinkle with the cheese. Bake 10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.
Freeze option: Cool spaghetti completely before tossing with egg mixture. Transfer to baking dish; cover and refrigerate. Meanwhile, prepare meat sauce and cool completely before spooning over spaghetti mixture. Cover and freeze unbaked casserole. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake as directed, increasing time as necessary to heat through and for a thermometer inserted in center to read 165°. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forMozzarella Baked Spaghetti
"Just in case I added 3 cloves garlic, Italian spice (1 t.) and a little hot sauce. It's a winner and it will be my pot luck contribution for the next several pot lucks."
"Made a few changes to suit family. Delicious!!"
"Can this be made without eggs?"
"I made this a couple nights ago for family members and everyone loved it. They all had seconds. Only thing I added was a little garlic powder. Will definitely make again."
"Great recipe! I am on deployment and we take turns cooking for the group. I liked the recipe but had to make some changes due to local market availabilities. There is no pork products and limited beef so I ended up maked ground lamb sausage from another recipe online. I doubled the spices and added fresh garlic and onion. The meal was finished with some homemade garlic pita slices. Everyone enjoyed it so much that we are adding it to our regular meal rotation."
"I thought that this recipe was easy to prepare and was kid friendly. We really love the flavor that the green pepper gives to spaghetti dishes. I ended up putting sausage on only half of this. As a preference my kids and I prefer just ground beef, but my husband loves sausage. I would make this again as a quick weeknight supper!"
"Recipe sounds very good and I will try it ...."
"I'll let you know tomorrow after I prepare it for 50 people"