Mountain Trout with Butter Sauce
After he and his wife visited Mast Farm Inn in Valle Crucis, North Carolina, he wished he'd asked for the recipe for the fantastic rainbow trout dinner they'd eaten. Taste of Home found him this wonderful recipe.—Joseph Noah, Clarksville, Virginia
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 3 pounds mountain trout fillets, cut into 4-ounce portions
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup butter
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1/2 cup chicken or brown gravy, optional
- Season trout with salt and pepper; dredge with flour. Heat oil in a skillet. Saute trout quickly in hot oil, browning evenly on both sides.
- Remove trout to a shallow baking pan. Bake at 350° for 5-10 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork; keep warm.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, heat butter until butter begins to brown. Carefully add lemon juice (hot butter will bubble with juice is added). Blend in gravy if desired. Spoon sauce over fish or serve on the side.
Nutrition Facts4 ounce-weight: 695 calories, 46g fat (15g saturated fat), 176mg cholesterol, 321mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 50g protein.
Originally published as Mountain Trout with Butter Sauce in Taste of Home April/May 1993
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.