- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups ground walnuts
- 2 packages (one 8 ounces, one 3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 5 to 5-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter, shortening and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine flour, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk and vanilla. Beat on low speed just until combined. Stir in the walnuts. Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes; remove from pans to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For frosting, beat cream cheese and butter in a mixing bowl. Add sugar; mix well. Add vanilla; beat until smooth. Spread between layers and over top and sides of cake. Sprinkle with walnuts. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Reviews forMother's Walnut Cake
"hello, I would love to make this cake, but I do not understand what "shortening" is. as I'm from Slovakia, cannot find it out. Can you please, explain? Thank you so much, Michaela."
"I just baked this cake today....delicious....probably will have to bake another one BEFORE the 25th. I used a sheet cake pan and guessed baking time. If anyone could tell me the exact time....I would appreciate it. I baked it for 50 minutes...little long? Anyway, this recipes is a keeper. We loved it!"
"This is asked for EVERY Birthday by my daughters. It is delicious, although I double the frosting. What can I say... it's delicious!"
"This is a really good moist cake, I did cut the recipe in half, since it's just two of us. No problems at all. Glad to add this to my keepers."