Mother’s Dinner Rolls
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + chilling Bake: 20 min.
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 7-1/2 to 8 cups all-purpose flour
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the boiling water, shortening, sugar and salt. Allow to stand 3 to 4 minutes or until shortening is melted and sugar is dissolved. Add the yeast mixture and eggs and mix well. Add 2 cups of flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (do not knead).
- Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Turn dough onto a floured surface. Form a 2-1/2-in. ball. Roll into a 5-in. rope; shape into a knot. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Place on a greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 197 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 84mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Mar 26, 2015
Tried this recipe for the 1st time, only I switched safflower oil instead of shortening and added orange zest. It was soft and delicious, thank you
Nov 18, 2014
My Question is this..... Could I do this recipe as written above and freeze them after.."".Turn dough onto a floured surface. Form a 2-1/2-in. ball. Roll into a 5-in. rope; shape into a knot. Repeat with remaining dough. "" this point? I would like to prepare early then freeze and then bake the day I need them? Any Suggestions?
Jan 5, 2014
I've been making this recipe for years. They are wonderful and my children request them at all our family meals.
Mar 29, 2012
This recipe is awesome! Very little mess to clean up and turns out excellent.My recipe made 4 dozen decent sized rolls.Definitely adding this to my recipe box!
Dec 29, 2011
I used all new ingredients, the dough looked perfect I was so happy. Waited up to 3 hrs. & the dough never doubled. I even set them near the oven @ warm setting. I've never seen my mother put the yeast directly into the dry ingriedients w/o first allowing the yeast to rise separately in warm water in a jar and allowing it to rise apart from the dry ingredients. But these recipes call to dissolve it w warm water along w the other dry ingredients. Why else would it have not risen? I tried this twice what a waste of money.
Dec 26, 2010
I made this recipe for Christmas Eve Dinner not only easy but absolutely delicious.Compliments galore.Definitely a keeper.
Dec 16, 2010
These turned out great although my rolls are HUGE! It made 30 rolls -I am taking them over to a new mommy along with dinner I am preparing
Nov 28, 2010
My daugher and I tried this for Thanksgiving... We both loved the recipe. Very easy to mnake, no kneading, and they taste great. We are both planning on using this recipe again....
Sep 12, 2008
Most bread recipes can be adapted to a bread machine. Just add the ingredients in the order in which your bread machine suggests. However, some larger bread recipes will have to be cut down to match your bread machine's capacity. I have a two pound bm and it would not handle a recipe that calls for 8 cups of flour, but I could half the recipe easily.
Apr 16, 2008
Can these be made in the bread machine?