Mother’s Barbecued Pork Sandwiches
"THESE delicious sandwiches taste even better if the pork is prepared a day ahead for the flavors to blend. We welcomed Mother's pork sandwiches for any occasion, but especially for our birthday celebration. We never wanted Mother to change that menu!"
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 1 boneless pork shoulder roast (4 to 5 pounds), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 16 hamburger buns, split
- In a Dutch oven, combine the meat, onions, chili powder, salt if desired, water, ketchup and vinegar. Cover and simmer for 4 hours or until the meat is tender.
- Skim off the excess fat. With a slotted spoon, remove meat, reserving cooking liquid. Shred the meat with two forks. Return to the cooking liquid and heat through. Serve on buns. Freeze option: Cool pork mixture and freeze in freezer containers for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator; place in a saucepan and heat through. Serve on buns.
If Cooking for Two: Freeze in serving-size portions to have a quick and easy meal.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 497 calories, 19g fat (6g saturated fat), 162mg cholesterol, 625mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 50g protein.
Originally published as Barbecued Pork Sandwiches in Reminisce July/August 1994