- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground allspice
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups applesauce
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup raisins
- In a bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, allspice and baking soda; set aside. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in eggs, applesauce and vanilla; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in raisins. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until muffins test done. Cool in pan 10 minutes; remove to a wire rack. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews forMother's Applesauce Muffins
"Very Good! I did change a few things out of necessity. I used shortening and dairy-free margarine because my brother can't take any dairy. I didn't have any allspice, so in place of it I added 1/2 tsp nutmeg, 1/4 tsp ginger, and 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon, (I doubled the muffin recipe.) I used one extra egg because mine were small. Finally, I left out the raisins so they would appeal to more of the family. I only gave the recipe four stars because I changed it a lot, but I seriously love these muffins!"
"I added one chopped apple and used a jumbo muffin pan. These make good muffins to freeze!"
"very moist! too much cinn. for my taste would cut the spices in half next time. Also I subsituted half of the sugar with brown sugar. very good!"
"These were excellent. They reminded me of spice cake. I did substitute pumpkin spice for the allspice."