Morning Glory Pancakes
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup unsweetened crushed pineapple, drained
- 1/2 cup diced peeled apple
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- In a large bowl, whisk the first six ingredients. In another bowl, whisk egg, egg white, buttermilk and oil; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Stir in carrots, pineapple, apple and walnuts.
- Coat a griddle with cooking spray; heat over medium heat. Pour batter by heaping 1/4 cupfuls onto griddle. Cook until bubbles on top begin to pop and bottoms are golden brown. Turn; cook until second side is golden brown.
Nutrition Facts2 pancakes: 282 calories, 10g fat (1g saturated fat), 55mg cholesterol, 574mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 4g fiber), 9g protein. Diabetic exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 2 fat.
Mar 12, 2016
Tried these this morning because I enjoy muffins of the same name. I followed the recipe as written and started by frying two. The batter needed some spice so I added 1t of cinnamon and 1/4t cloves (Applepie spice would work also) which improved the flavor. I also added about 1/4 cup more buttermilk to thin the remainder batter slightlly. Don't plan to whip this baby out in five-minutes. It would be enjoyable as a company breakfast by doubling without much risk of failure.
Mar 9, 2016
These were great! I use blood orange infused olive oil for the oil, and Chef Brads Wonder Flour (brown rice, spelt, barley mix) for the wheat flour. Next time I will try switching out the buttermilk and use plain greek yogurt, thinned with a little milk, to kick up the protein even higher. Thanks for the wonderful recipe.
Mar 8, 2016
It sounds great except for the use of Canola oil, which is known to be one of the most unhealthy oils to use. Google it for more information...when I make banana bread I use applesauce in place of oil, which works fine....but there are many healthy oils that could be used....just do a little research...