Morning Bread Pudding
"This slightly sweet casserole-for-one is a fun alternative to typical breakfast entrees," says Anne Morrissey of Marshfield, Massachusetts. "It's a snap to prepare in the microwave on a busy morning. And it's yummy served warm or cold for dessert, too."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1 slice bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup diced peeled tart apple
- 1 tablespoon raisins
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon apple pie spice
- Place bread cubes, apple and raisins in a microwave-safe 2-cup bowl coated with cooking spray. In another bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients; pour over bread mixture. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 2 minutes or until mixture puffs and bubbles around the edges.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 233 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 339mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 15g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 fruit, 1/2 milk.
Originally published as Breakfast Bread Pudding in Quick Cooking January/February 2001