This simple from-scratch sugar cookie dough can be mixed in a flash and is easy to roll and cut. (Need to move at "light speed"? Use purchased refrigerator cookie dough.)
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min.
Makes6 dozen whole moons
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 5-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup water
- 5 drops yellow food coloring
- In a large bowl, cream sugar and shortening. Add egg and extract. Combine flour, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with sour milk. Mix well. Refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a round cookie cutter. If desired, cut some circles in half and form into half moon shapes. Place on greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until the edges begin to brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- Combine water and food coloring; brush over cooled cookies. Let dry completely. Store in airtight containers.
Editor's Note: Prepared refrigerator sugar cookie dough can also be used.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 166 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 73mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Moonbeam Munchies in Quick Cooking Premiere 1998