Moo Shu Lettuce Cups
I took ordinary ground beef and turned it into a new classic with sweet and savory flavors that make this dish a new dinnertime favorite. We love them served in flour tortillas, too! —Christine Keating, Norwalk, California
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 3 hours
- 1/4 cup apricot preserves
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1 celery rib, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 12 Bibb lettuce leaves
- Sliced green onions
- Mix first five ingredients and, if desired, pepper flakes. In a large skillet, cook and crumble beef with onion, garlic and ginger over medium heat until no longer pink, 5-7 minutes. Transfer to a 3- or 4-qt. slow cooker. Add mushrooms, carrot, celery and pepper; stir in sauce mixture.
- Cook, covered, on low until vegetables are tender and flavors are blended, 3-4 hours. Serve in lettuce leaves; sprinkle with green onions.
Nutrition Facts3 filled lettuce cups: 311 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 71mg cholesterol, 744mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 2g fiber), 25g protein.
Originally published as Moo Shu Beef in Simple & Delicious August/September 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
More from Taste of Home
What’s the Secret to Perfect Burgers at Home? A Former Restaurant Chef Shares 11 Expert Burger Grilling Tips