Mealtime is so much fun and filled with laughter and conversation when fondue is on the menu. I created this recipe after tasting something similar in a restaurant. Family and friends request it often.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Cook: 20 min.
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced garlic, divided
- 1 cup sliced carrots (1/4 inch thick)
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 pounds boneless beef sirloin steak, cut into 2-1/2-inch x 1/4-inch strips
- 1 pound turkey breast, cut into 2-1/2-inch x 1/4-inch strips
- 1 pound uncooked large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 small zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 each medium sweet red, yellow and green pepper, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 to 2 cups whole fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup cubed red onion (1-inch pieces)
- 1 jar (7 ounces) hoisin sauce
- 1 jar (4 ounces) Chinese hot mustard
- In a saucepan, combine the soy sauce, water, vinegar and 1/2 teaspoon garlic; bring to a boil. Remove from the heat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- In a small saucepan, cook carrots in a small amount of water for 3 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain and pat dry. In a saucepan, bring the broth, ginger and remaining garlic to a boil. Transfer to a fondue pot and keep warm. Pat steak, turkey and shrimp dry with paper towels.
- Use fondue forks to cook beef to desired doneness. Cook turkey until juices run clear. Cook shrimp until pink. Cook vegetables until they reach desired doneness. Serve with hoisin sauce, mustard sauce and reserved garlic-soy sauce.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 364 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 184mg cholesterol, 1826mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 50g protein.
Originally published as Mongolian Fondue in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2003
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
More from Taste of Home
What’s the Secret to Perfect Burgers at Home? A Former Restaurant Chef Shares 11 Expert Burger Grilling Tips