- 3 cups shredded cooked turkey
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 large potato, peeled and cubed
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 carton (32 ounces) chicken broth
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 cup biscuit/baking mix
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- In a 6-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 10 ingredients; stir in broth. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours.
- Remove bay leaves. In a small bowl, mix water and cornstarch until smooth; stir into turkey mixture. Add corn and peas. Cover and cook on high until mixture reaches a simmer.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix baking mix and milk just until moistened. Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls on top of simmering liquid. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Momma’s Turkey Stew with Dumplings
"Made this yesterday exactly as directed. Hubby loved it and said it's a keeper."
"We really liked this- it was easy and very tasty!"
"With the addition of a few more herbs and increasing the poultry seasoning amount, this recipe is the one I use with both turkey and chicken for the basic stew. I like to make slick/flat dumplings though. Those fluffy dumplings tend to melt too readily."
"Simple and easy preparation. Instead of Turkey I used chicken leg quarters since I haven't done a Turkey yet. But, it will be a good recipe for later when I have the Turkey leftovers. As well, I don't have Bisquick on hand so I made easy scratch dumplings with Flour, Salt, Parsley, Butter and Milk."
"I make this dish all the time as it is so tasty. It is a staple in my house during the winter months. I don't make the biscuits though as I don't want the extra calories."
"Followed directions, very disappointing, will not make again."
"This was delicious, easy, and made the house smell wonderful while it cooked. Kids gave it 2 thumbs up!"
"I did not have turkey so I substituted chicken instead. My husband and I both loved it! It was hearty and full of flavor. I'm putting this on our list of favorites."