- 1 beef chuck roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2-1/2 quarts water
- 3 cans (28 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 10 celery ribs, chopped
- 6 large carrots, thinly sliced
- 3 large onions, chopped
- 3/4 cup medium pearl barley
- 2/3 cup cut fresh green beans (1/2-inch pieces)
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large soup kettle, brown the roast in oil. Add water; cover and simmer for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until meat is tender. Drain; set roast aside. In the same kettle, combine the tomatoes, celery, carrots, onions, barley and beans. Cover and simmer for 50 minutes or until the barley is tender. Cut beef into 1/2-in. cubes; add to soup. Stir in corn, salt and pepper; heat through. Yield: 26 servings (6-1/2 quarts).
Reviews forMom's Vegetable Soup
"This soup is really delicious. Yes it does take time to make, but it is well worth the effort. I use 1/4 cup or less to brown the roast, and I also substitute I can of tomatoes with 3 cups of tomato juice. At the end I add one pound of frozen peas, and simmer till they are cooked, about 10 minutes. I cook for 2 people and freeze smaller portions for quick lunches."