I don't believe my mom ever used a recipe for her tamale pie, but I came up with this version that tastes very much like the one she used to make. It's been popular at our church gatherings and faculty luncheons...and my kids love it! -Waldine Guillott, DeQuincy, Louisiana
Recommended: 65 of Our Favorite Casserole Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, undrained
- 1-1/2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- 5 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 envelope chili seasoning
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 6 cups cooked grits (prepared with butter and salt)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder, divided
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 325°. In a large skillet, cook beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add corn, tomatoes, tomato paste, chili seasoning, sugar, garlic powder, basil and oregano. Cook and stir until heated through; keep warm.
- Spread half of the grits in a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon chili powder. Top with beef mixture and cheese. Pipe remaining grits around edge of dish; sprinkle with remaining chili powder.
- Bake, uncovered, 20-25 minutes or until cheese is melted. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Mom's Tamale Pie in Taste of Home October/November 2003, p37
Reviews forMom's Tamale Pie
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 1, 2017
"This tamale pie is the best I've ever tasted!! We love the grits in it!! It also makes a great presentation!!"