- 3 cups cold mashed sweet potatoes (prepared without milk or butter)
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- In a large bowl, beat the sweet potatoes, sugar, eggs, milk, butter, salt and vanilla until smooth. Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, pecans and flour; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over potato mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 45-50 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Reviews forMom's Sweet Potato Bake
"these were excellent. Made them just as is. company loved them too. Will definitely make again."
"I made this for Thanksgiving, but used two 49 oz cans of sweet potatoes (drained). Because the potatoes were already sweet from the syrup I left out the sugar called for in the recipe, and only used a tablespoon of milk. It still turned out well, although next time I won't use the canned potatoes. The topping really makes this dish extra special. As others have said, don't add the pecans until the butter, flour and brown sugar are crumbly. Thanks for the great recipe!"
"Good recipe, however the directions.....For all you new cooks out there, when you're making the topping, be sure to add the pecans after you've already cut your butter/margarine into the flour/brown sugar mixture. Otherwise, you'll be spending tons of time trying to incorporate the butter around the pecans."
"The best sweet tater recipe ever!!!"
"This is a fantastic side dish! I love the pecan topping - it's luscious! I have sometimes varied the dish by adding 1/2 - 1 cup of well-drained pineapple to the sweet potato mixture. The pineapple is a nice addition and goes well with the sweet potato flavor. This is a perfect recipe for the Thanksgiving table (or any time, really!)."
"I've used this recipe off and on for years. Folks seem to love it. It's easy and I use canned sweet potatoes making it even easier."
"Have tried many sweet potato recipes and this one is not too sweet, just right. My family liked it Alot"
"Tried this instead of my usual sweet potatoes this Thanksgiving . The group really liked them . I think the vanilla really another layer of flavor that every one liked .I will be making this recipe many times in the future ."