Mom's Swedish Rye Recipe
My mom baked this bread in coffee cans, but I prefer to use regular loaf pans. I usually double the recipe so I have extra loaves available in the freezer.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 cup rye flour
- 5 to 6 cups all-purpose flour
- Melted butter
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sugar, shortening, molasses, salt, rye flour and 3 cups all-purpose flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Shape into loaves. Place in two greased 9x5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Brush with melted butter if desired. Cool. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
1 slice: 107 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 149mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Reviews for Mom's Swedish Rye
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC