Mom’s Strawberry Shortcake
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 1-1/2 quarts fresh strawberries, sliced
- Sweetened whipped cream
- Mint leaves, optional
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Grease an 8-in. square baking pan. In a large bowl, beat eggs on medium speed 3 minutes. Gradually add 1 cup sugar, beating until thick and lemon-colored. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt; beat into egg mixture. In a small saucepan, heat milk and butter just until butter begins to melt. Beat into batter with vanilla (batter will be thin).
- 2. Transfer batter to prepared pan. Bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 3. Just before serving, cut cake into serving-size pieces; cut each slice horizontally in half. In a large bowl, combine strawberries and remaining sugar; spoon between cake layers and over top of each serving. Top with whipped cream and, if desired, mint leaves.
1 serving (calculated without whipped cream): 236 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 145mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Sep 18, 2019I was looking for a simple strawberry shortcake recipe, one where you don't have to separate the egg whites and all that, so thanks for this! I really love it! It's even easy to double the recipe. I didn't change anything in the recipe but just added a teaspoon or two of strawberry flavor to the batter. Even coming straight out of the fridge, it's not that dense or dry. Perfect sweetness.
Jun 12, 2019I doubled this recipe and instead of sugar I used an organic stevia blend and came out amazing
Jun 6, 2019Thank you so much for sharing this lovely recipe! I used for a family reunion and everyone loved it! It is now officially the only cake recipe I will use. I also reduced the sugar to 1/2c. Even after doing that, the taste was still fantastic! I added 1/2 tsp of cinnamon to the fresh strawberries. Tasted great.
May 5, 2019Simple yet delicious. I love the sweetness of this cake
Jun 7, 2018
Easy to make! This was EXACTLY what I was looking for!!! It reminded me of the wonderful shortcakes from my childhood!!! DELICIOUS ! I also had difficulty taking it out of the pan after 10 min - so left it in the pan and it was fine. Strawberry time again! I put parchment paper in the bottom! PERFECTION
Dec 31, 1969
Great shortcake. I mixed everything in the bowl together, mixing well. I also added an extra tablespoon of butter. I used buttermilk plus 1/2 tsp. baking soda and also cut the sugar to 1/2 cup, as I only wanted it slightly sweet. It came out great!
Sep 26, 2016
I have been making this recipe since it came out in 1996! 20 years ofthe best strawberry shortcake ever!
Aug 6, 2014
This is a great recipe for strawberry shortcake. I add frozen strawberries in syrup along with the fresh berries - delicious
Jun 8, 2014
This cake was light and fluffy, a nice change from the biscuit version. This will be my new go-to recipe. I sprinkled a tiny bit of cinnamon into the batter, and my family liked the cake so much they said they would even eat it plain.
Dec 31, 1969
This recipe is a winner! My family all raved about it and went for seconds.
I added cinnamon to the batter. Awesome....