Mom’s Special Chicken Soup
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 1 hour 20 min.
Makes14 servings (3-1/2 quarts)
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3-1/2 to 4 pounds)
- 3 quarts water
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 4 celery ribs
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 2 parsley sprigs
- 1 garlic clove
- 2-1/2 teaspoons salt, optional
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 cups cooked rice
- Place chicken and water in a Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; add the onion, celery, bouillon, parsley sprigs, garlic and salt if desired. Cover and simmer until the chicken is tender, about 1 hour.
- Remove chicken from broth; allow to cool. Strain broth, discarding vegetables and seasonings. Remove chicken from bones; cut into cubes; set aside. Discard bones. Add carrots to broth and simmer about 15 minutes or until tender. Add chicken and chopped parsley to broth; heat through. Serve with rice.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 184 calories, 7g fat (0 saturated fat), 44mg cholesterol, 41mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 15g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 meat, 1 starch.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 28, 2016
WOW. This was sooo good. I made it for my family when we got a virus.It was really delicious. I chopped all my ingredients small and left them in thesoup. I skipped adding the granules.....the soup was good without it.
Dec 18, 2014
It's actually pretty good. I'm not sure why we have to remove the celery though. I figured celery would've been great in it. My husband thought it tasted bland but he's a salt maniac. It's just a simple recipe to have on one of those days where soup would be a perfect fit. :)
Jan 10, 2013
Added 1/16 tsp. of cayenne pepper while cooking & was much easier to breathe with bad cold.
Sep 5, 2011
its soo very simple to make (when I make soups/stews, I like to let the meat or whatever boil/simmer a little longer than it says, makes for even more tenderness). even picky people in my family loved this