- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3-1/2 to 4 pounds)
- 3 quarts water
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 4 celery ribs
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 2 parsley sprigs
- 1 garlic clove
- 2-1/2 teaspoons salt, optional
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 cups cooked rice
- Place chicken and water in a Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; add the onion, celery, bouillon, parsley sprigs, garlic and salt if desired. Cover and simmer until the chicken is tender, about 1 hour.
- Remove chicken from broth; allow to cool. Strain broth, discarding vegetables and seasonings. Remove chicken from bones; cut into cubes; set aside. Discard bones. Add carrots to broth and simmer about 15 minutes or until tender. Add chicken and chopped parsley to broth; heat through. Serve with rice. Yield: 14 servings (3-1/2 quarts).
Reviews forMom's Special Chicken Soup
"It's actually pretty good. I'm not sure why we have to remove the celery though. I figured celery would've been great in it. My husband thought it tasted bland but he's a salt maniac. It's just a simple recipe to have on one of those days where soup would be a perfect fit. :)"
"Added 1/16 tsp. of cayenne pepper while cooking & was much easier to breathe with bad cold."
"its soo very simple to make (when I make soups/stews, I like to let the meat or whatever boil/simmer a little longer than it says, makes for even more tenderness). even picky people in my family loved this"